what to do in an emergency
Evacuate the area immediately surrounding any gas escape without using a vehicle or any device that may create a spark, including a mobile phone.
For a major incident, where there is risk to life or property, call 000.
Call the relevant emergency number below if:
- You can smell gas
- You can hear gas escaping
- There has been a gas explosion or fire
- You are aware of, or may have caused damage to a gas pipe or meter.
Please report all damage no matter how minor.
- Do not use a naked flame or other ignition source to look for a gas leak
- Do not create sparks by using a vehicle, electronic devices (mobile phones, tablets, cameras, etc.), matches or lighters or by smoking
Emergency Contact Numbers
Local Gas Distribution Networks - 1800 GAS LEAK (1800 427 532) except in Darwin
For Darwin (NT) ring 1800 017 000
Avoid emergencies by using the free Before You Dig Australia service, before digging.
For gas appliance faults: Contact your local plumber.