About the Apprenticeship Program
The APA Apprenticeship Program is designed to support our strategy of maintaining a highly skilled workforce.
APA has workplaces in all mainland state and territory capitals, alongside multiple regional, rural and remote centres. Available locations and roles will vary from year to year. We are focused on keeping talent local and we aim to create opportunities for new career paths within regional communities.
APA will offer apprenticeships to begin your career in the following areas:
We aim to create jobs for the local communities, so applicants from these areas will be highly regarded. Applications will open late July, so watch this space for links to apply!
- Mount Isa, QLD – Electrical & Instrumentation Technician
- Mount Isa, QLD – Mechanical Technician (fitter)
- Brisbane, QLD – Networks Maintenance Technician (Civil Construction)
- Alice Springs, NT – Electrical & Instrumentation Technician
- Mondarra, WA – Electrical & Instrumentation Technician
- Adelaide, SA – Networks Maintenance Technician (Civil Construction)
- Adelaide, SA – Fabrication Technician (welding)
- Melbourne, VIC – Electrical & Instrumentation Technician
- Albury, NSW – Electrical & Instrumentation Technician
The application process will consist of submitting a cover letter and resume, interviews, and a site visit for shortlisted applicants (COVID-19 restrictions permitting). All applications must include a cover letter explaining why you are interested in a trade career and what interests you about working at APA. The site visit will give you an idea of what a day on the job looks like so you can make a more informed decision if this career choice is for you.
Applications are open to school leavers and mature age who might be new to the workforce, re-entering or changing careers.
Contact us by emailing [email protected].
What are we looking for?
Positions are open to school leavers (aged 16 and above) and mature age applicants, and we strongly encourage women and Indigenous Australians to apply. Roles are suitable for newcomers, as well as second and third year apprentices.
At APA, we value the following qualities in a new apprentice:
We want you to succeed and to enjoy your career choice so we strongly recommend that you have completed any relevant pre-apprenticeship or pre-vocational courses, and have attended work experience visits in the relevant field. These immersions will give you an idea of what’s involved in the trade and will ensure you have a genuine interest in the role you’re applying for.
Contact us if you are interested in work experience or site visits.
APA knows the transition to your first job, a new company or a new industry can be daunting. That's why we’ve created a multiweek induction program to make this transition as smooth as possible. During this induction, you’ll:
- Learn about APA and its role in the Australian and international energy infrastructure industries.
- Meet your team, your support network and the wider APA community.
- Undertake various induction training courses, including safety, environment, wellbeing, internal systems and procedures, essential soft skills and more.
- Learn about your apprenticeship training plan, meet your trainers and set some study goals with your support network.
Classroom and on-the-job training
Most of your learning and skills development will happen on the job, under the guidaince of experienced tradespeople and mentors. A portion of your learning will be done in the classroom at an approved trade school or TAFE.
Career paths and skills development
If you’re successful in gaining an apprenticeship position at APA, it means we want you on the team, even after your apprenticeship is over.
You will have regular performance reviews to help you progress during your apprenticeship, and once it has been successfully completed, there will be further development opportunities. You may choose to stay in the trade or continue upskilling by moving to other areas in the business, such as engineering, operations or management roles.
Your support network
Your support network is here to help you succeed. We want you to have an enjoyable work and study life, learn as much as possible and successfully complete your apprenticeship to ultimately become a highly-valued member of the APA team. Your support network will include mentors, supervisors, your colleagues, a program coordinator and classroom trainers.