victorian transmission system access arrangement
The Victorian Transmission System (VTS) is owned and maintained by APA but operated by the Australian Energy Market Operator (AEMO) under a market-based centrally co-ordinated carriage system under the National Gas Rules.
The Victorian Transmission System comprises approximately 1,992 kilometres of pipelines transporting gas from various inlet points to load centres throughout Victoria. Almost all the natural gas consumed in Victoria is transported through the VTS.
The Victorian Transmission System is fully regulated, which means that prices for reference services and the terms and conditions are subject to regulatory oversight by the Australian Energy Regulator. The key regulation instrument is the pipeline’s Access Arrangement, which must be consistent with the national gas objective.
The national gas objective requires that we efficiently invest in, and efficiently operate, the VTS in the long-term interest of consumers. This is in line with APA’s Purpose, our Customer Promise, Values and Decision Compass.
An access arrangement must be revised periodically. The VTS Access Arrangement for the current regulatory period must be revised by 1 January 2023. We are now preparing the revised access arrangement for the 2023–27 regulatory period.
Before submitting the access arrangement revision proposal to the regulator on 1 December 2021, APA will be engaging with VTS stakeholders to gain their insights, hear their views and to answer any questions arising throughout this process. Involvement by the VTS Stakeholder Engagement Group will help shape our plans for the VTS. Our guiding principles for this engagement are:
- No surprises: we want to reveal as much as possible about our plans ahead of making our submission to the regulator.
- Clear, accurate and timely communication: we will aim to prepare information to allow sufficient time for you to consider and provide feedback.
- Easy to understand: we will not become too technical and we will prepare information that can be read and understood by a wide audience.
- Transparent: we will aim to be transparent about our thinking and plans but, as an ASX-listed company, there are rules about what we can and can’t make public.
- Consumer influence: we aim to be open about what is and what isn’t open to consumer influence.
VTS Engagement Timeline
Here are the key dates for engagement on the VTS revised access arrangement.
All VTS engagement documents are on this webpage.
- VTS 2023-27 Access Arrangement Engagement Plan (October 2020) – Draft for consultation
- VTS Reference Service Proposal (submitted to regulator December 2020)
- VTS Stakeholder Engagement Group Roundtable 1 Presentation (October 2020)
- VTS Stakeholder Engagement Group Roundtable 2 Presentation (November 2020)
- VTS Stakeholder Engagement Group Roundtable 2 AEMO Presentation
- VTS Stakeholder Engagement Group Roundtable 3 Asset Management
- VTS Stakeholder Engagement Group Roundtable 4 Calculating Regulated Revenues and Tariff Structures
- VTS Stakeholder Engagement Group Roundtable 5 Overview of 2021 Victorian Gas Planning Report
- VTS Stakeholder Engagement Group Roundtable 6 Demand Forecasts
- VTS Stakeholder Engagement Group Roundtable 6 AEMO Victorian Gas Planning Report
- VTS Issues Paper Capital Program (May 2021)
- VTS Stakeholder Engagement Group Roundtable 7 Capital and Operating Expenditure
- VTS Stakeholder Engagement Group Roundtable 7 Pigging The Unpiggables
- VTS Stakeholder Engagement Group Workshop on Capital issues
- VTS Stakeholder Engagement Group Roundtable 8 Workshop Capital Issues
- VTS Stakeholder Engagement Group Information Session on Hydrogen (26 August 2021)
- VTS Stakeholder engagement group Roundtable 9 – Demand & Supply study, Decarbonisation & depreciation, engagement timeline update (15 September 2021)
- VTS Stakeholder Engagement Group Roundtable 10 – First Look at regulatory positions (6 October 2021)
- First Look consultation document (15 October 2021)
- Oakley Greenwood Report: Issues Affecting Demand and Supply for Gas on the VTS (14 October 2021)
- Roundtable 11 First Look at regulatory positions – Q&A and discussion (26 October 2021)
Please email [email protected] to ask any questions or provide feedback on the APA’s VTS access arrangement or stakeholder engagement plans, to request an invite to an engagement session, or to arrange a private consultation.