orbost gas plant upgrade
On 1 November 2017, APA Group acquired the existing Orbost Gas Plant (OGP) and the export pipeline to the Eastern Gas Pipeline (EGP). The plant (previously owned and operated by Santos and known as the Patricia Baleen Gas Plant) has been undergoing an extensive upgrade over the last 18 months. Once operational, the gas plant and the export pipeline will supply treated gas to meet the growing market demand from the Australian eastern seaboard. Cooper Energy will continue to own and operate the offshore development of the Sole gas field.
Once all construction is finalised by September 2019, the Orbost Gas Plant is expected to deliver 68TJ/day into the network.
The construction phase of the Orbost Gas Plant has provided a boost to the local and regional economy, with beneficial flow-on into the community. During this time, there have been opportunities for contractors and suppliers within the immediate area, and from nearby regional centres such as Sale and the Latrobe Valley.
The Orbost Gas Plant will form a key role in APA’s contribution to the lowering of carbon emissions in the energy market, and to satisfy the continuing demand for gas on the eastern seaboard.
Orbost Gas Plant Project Timeline
- 31 July 2019 – Community Advisory Committee, Orbost
- Mid-August 2019 – Commissioning and start up program of works commences
- Q4 2019 – Gas Plant Operational
During the construction phase, local suppliers have been instrumental in supporting the project. Goods and services supplied from Orbost and the surrounding communities have included: transport, security, construction, metal fabrication, electricians, plumbers, cleaning, waste removal, food, travel, mechanical engineering, fuel supplies and hardware. While the principal contractor, the Downer Group, has national contracts, local suppliers were sourced as a first preference.
Project Works Update
APA is in the final stages of preparing the Orbost Gas Plant Facility for operations. A commissioning and start up program of works is scheduled to commence in mid-August 2019 and will conclude in the fourth quarter of 2019. As part of the start-up, activities will include:
- Testing and preparation for start-up of existing and new plant
- Introduction of gas in to the plant
- Start-up of the plant flare
- Start-up of plant gas engine electric generators
- Start-up of gas processing plant
- Orbost Gas Plant Upgrade Project Update 01 (March 2018)
- Orbost Gas Plant Upgrade Project Update 02 (August 2019)
The team hosted an information session in both Newmerella and Orbost in early August to discuss the upcoming commissioning activities with the community. The below video provides a visual update of the status of the project (July 2019).
Key Project Facts
- Over 40 local vendors and suppliers engaged to provide services and goods.
- Over $25 million worth of contracts with local contractors.
- Peak manning on site of 342 personnel including 20 APA staff, 242 contractor trades, 16 subcontractor trades and 62 contractor staff, with a high percentage of trades resources from Gippsland.
- More than 14,300 metres of new piping.
- Approximately 120 kilometres of cabling for power, instrumentation, controls and communication.
310 concrete piles.
- Over $80 million of procured equipment.
For more information call 1800 ORBOST (1800 672 678).